Thursday, January 2, 2020

A Quick Review of Amy Howard At Home Paint

This thick, water-based stain is even easy to use on vertical surfaces - the possibilities are endless. Hands down I will go with Amy Howard at Home paint for my next furniture flip project. I also loved the fact that I could easily customize the color at my local Ace Hardware store. I started out my furniture makeover adventures solely using Annie Sloan chalk paint. Mainly because I wanted to use “the best” brand out there at the time.

You may recall the fantastic project where I turned a plain dresser into a beautiful library card catalog for her book-inspired room. Having a bookshelf in the headboard would give me more space for all her nighttime storybooks. I used Amy Howard At Home® One Step Paint™ for this project.

DIY Furniture Redo Tips

If you haven’t tried this paint, you really should. I was able to paint all these pieces with two small sample jars of paint and I still have paint left over in each jar. Paint coverage – As you can maybe see in the picture, the paint didn’t cover perfectly, even after two coats. But, truth be told, if I would have know how much this dresser is worth I probably would have opted to have it professionally redone. The paint didn’t dry evenly and looks chalky in some areas and a little patchy in others. This might be because the paint dried too quickly due to the higher temperature in the garage.

amy howard at home one step paint reviews

These workshops are a great way to learn and get your hands dirty. With all three paint projects, I was extremely pleased with the results. For my painted door project, I used Amy Howard at Home One Step Paint, so that’s the particular product I’ll focus on in this post. The MegMade Paint collection features a special line of colors customized for MegMade. Step 3 – Shake the can or jar of your One Step paint for 1 – 2 minutes. Step 1 – Turn the can of One Step Paint upside down and allow to sit for at least 30 minutes to an hour.

Hour Miracle Paint - Top Sellers

Dry with a damp rag and wait until its completely dry before moving on to step 3. I have done a lot of painting with Amy Howard one step and found thinning it with water as directed was essential to getting a smooth finish. That being said it took more coats to cover but turned out great. I did my kitchen cabinets 6 years ago and I really use my kitchen. I am now painting my kitchen cabinets with Amy Howard.

amy howard at home one step paint reviews

There are tons of colors to choose from in the line, so you can have fun with lots of new projects. If you’re at all considering investing in a paint sprayer, then I highly recommend this Wagner model. It’s fairly inexpensive, but provides a high quality finish and is perfect for beginners and DIYers. I’ve personally never used Amy Howard at Home wax, and all my paint projects have held up well. You can also see the before and after of our bathroom vanity makeover with Behr chalk paint right here.

Recent Project Tutorials

I love that this chalk paint is available at so many different retailers. Depending on your location and need, you could easily scoop up the perfect shade of chalk paint same day. Unlike other brands where you have to find a specific stockist that carries the paint, Amy Howard is also easily available online. And I highly recommend it for your next furniture painting project. If you’re interested in reading more thoughts on Behr chalk paint, I wrote a review of Behr chalk paint right here. I also like Behr chalk paint — the biggest perk here is that Behr chalk paint is available in any color that Behr offers.

I also tested out the big box retail brands of chalk paint like Behr and Valspar. Then, I finally graduated into making my own version of chalk paint. Which I only recommend for experienced DIYers . You can use Amy Howard paint for all kinds of projects. I’ve personally painted wood furniture with Amy Howard paint, as well as our coat closet door and a bathroom vanity. I think my favorite piece I painted was my dresser.

A wooden BBQ skewer works great to stir the small jar. Coating in black and getting a distressed look is hard because it is so dark. It might need some serious elbow grease with the thick sandpaper. Ace Hardware offers instructional classes and they also offer videos on their YouTube channel on how to use Amy Howard At Home® One Step Paint™. Chalk-based paint is unlike other paints I’ve used, and it has been labeled a more advanced project. So it is suggested that you test it out, play around with it, and learn as much as you can before starting a project.

Step 6 – Apply a light coat of One Step paint, avoid puddling as this will result in a cracked finish. Once the piece is covered allow it to dry for about half an hour. The thicker you apply the paint the longer it will take for it to dry. Step 2 – It is important to begin with a clean piece so clean the entire surface of your furniture to be painted with a de-greaser. I used a little squirt of Shaklee’s Basic H2 Organic Cleaner in a bucket of hot water.

New Colors

Amy Howard chalk paint has a very latex like consistency, making it ideal for paint sprayer use that wouldn’t require diluting with water. Its thin texture also means that you’re less likely to experience any clogging within your sprayer. I have a full tutorial here on how to paint with chalk paint, so if you’re a beginner I highly recommend you check it out. Like most other chalk paints on the market, you can easily apply Amy Howard One Step Paint with a regular paint brush. Although they sell specialty chalk paint brushes, you actually don’t need anything fancy or expensive. A simple angled brush will get the job done nicely.

Sometimes I will make my own chalk paint so I headed to Ace Hardware to pick out some paint colors when I stumbled upon the Amy Howard At Home One Step Paint. At first I thought, should I even attempt something new when I had very little time to pull this together, what if it was difficult to use? Oh, but they had the perfect color, exactly what I was looking for a perfect grey called Atelier and of course the basic black.

One Step Paint

Amy Howard at Home and Annie Sloan are neck-and-neck when it comes to quality. Years ago, I painted our laundry room laminate cabinets using Annie Sloan paint. Check out the before and after of our laundry room makeover right here. And just like the Amy Howard at Home website says, I didn’t need to strip, sand or prime any surface before applying the Amy Howard paint. Step 4 – Open the lid and thoroughly stir the paint with a stir-stick.

amy howard at home one step paint reviews

Create custom 3-dimensional accents that can be painted or gilded for a stunning custom look. Check out the Color of the Month Club to find out how you can grab these gorgeous hues. I’m slightly relieved to know it’s advanvced so I don’t feel like I’ve missed out in using it. There is a fine line between “need” and “should” when it comes to waxing and sealing Amy Howard at Home paint.

Read my review if you’re thinking of rescuing an old piece of furniture with Amy Howard One Step paint.

I used the spray clear coat so wiping it with a damp cloth may be fine but I would advise against heavy scrubbing with chalk paint. Amy Howard does offer its own line of paint sealers, and one in fact is a matte paint sealer. In my opinion though, the inexpensive minwax brand does just as good of a job protecting a freshly painted chalk finish. In short, yes you should probably always seal your painted furniture, but that also depends on the amount of durability and finish style you want your project to have.

amy howard at home one step paint reviews

The paint tone down the stain color and I like the juxtaposition of the grey paint against the stain. Step 5 – Miss Amy suggests to use her Amy Howard At Home 2″ Wax brush to coat the piece of furniture with One Step paint. I found a similar, round brush at Lowe’s for half the price that worked just as well. One Step paint can be rolled, brushed or sprayed on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mark Zuckerberg and his fake facial hair are everywhere but why are we so fascinated? Life-style News

Table Of Content Is that head scrotum? YourCentralValley.com KSEE24 and CBS47 Video Leonardo da Vinci would have been very proud of this bar...